Friday, February 5, 2010

Justice for Immigrants Campaign of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops


For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.' -- Matthew 25:35-36

Our bishops’ are currently launching a national campaign to support comprehensive immigration reform. This effort will educate and engage Catholics around the country on this critical issue. Learn more at: http://www.justiceforimmigrants.org/

What Have Popes Said About Migration?

“Every human being has the right to freedom of movement and of residence with the confines of his own state. When there are just reasons in favor or it, he must be permitted to emigrate to other countries and to take up residence there. The fact that he is a citizen of a particular state does not deprive him of membership in the human family, nor the citizenship in that universal society, the common, world-wide fellowship of women and men.” -- Paragraph 25, Pacem in Terris, Encyclical OF Pope John XXIII on Establishing Universal Peace in Truth, Justice, Charity, and Liberty, April 1963

"Every man and woman may be regarded as brothers and sisters, children of the same Father"— Pope Benedict XVI

My Family Migrated to America: How About You?

My family has been in America for many generations now. Yet everyone of my forebears came from Northern Europe. My father's grandfather's grandfather fled the chaos following the fall of Napoleon, and came to Indiana by covered wagon. My mother's great grandmother's a few back all fled Scotland and England -- probably they were destitute second sons or other outcasts.

Try finding out about your own family tree. Unless you are 100% native American, your family were also migrants to America.


No comments:

Post a Comment