Sunday, March 25, 2012
Earth Day the Catholic Way: Things You Can Do at Home
What can you do? Check out these concrete, practical tips for the whole family:
· Turn off lights and unplug appliances when you leave the room.
· Unplug your cell phone as soon as it is charged.
· Replace incandescent light bulbs with energy-efficient bulbs.
· Turn off water when shaving, brushing your teeth and take shorter showering.
· Ride a bike, walk, carpool, or use public transportation whenever possible.
· Use biodegradable soap, shampoos.
· Buy Fair Trade coffee, tea and chocolate
· Reduce use of disposable products by using reusable containers; if you must buy disposable, buy paper or glass products instead of plastic.
· Bring reusable cloth bags when shopping instead of disposable plastic bags.
· Buy local, and/or organic food, and purchase recycled products whenever possible.
· Organize an environmental awareness day at your parish or school.
· Plant a garden and start a compost pile.
· Eat less meat: the UN concludes that “the livestock sector emerges as one of the top two or three most significant contributors to the most serious environmental problems"
· Dry your clothes outdoors when possible and use the dryer less.
Learn more about the St. Francis Pledge at: http://catholicclimatecovenant.org/